The Biesse Group, one of world’s biggest woodworking machinery manufacturers, achieved sales of €519.1m in 2015, a growth of 21.5% from 2014. EBITDA in 2015 reached €64.1m compared to €40.9m in 2014 – an increase of 52.9%.
Established in Pesaro in 1969 by Giancarlo Selci, Biesse SpA has been listed on the STAR sector of Borsa Italiana since June 2001. As a result of the company’s focus on research and innovation, Biesse can develop modular products and solutions capable of responding to a vast range of requirements from clients.
The success of 2015 has been achieved against the grain somewhat, compared to some other large firms in this sector. The increase in sales has allowed the Italian company to grow its pre-tax profits by 69% to €38.5m which shows a improved margin on revenues of 7.4%. Importantly, as of the end of 2015, the Biesse Group is also now in a positive cash position compared to a €19.1m deficit in 2014.
In geographical/divisional terms, the breakdown of revenues was:
• Western Europe 40.1% (39.6% in 2014) – of which Italy 12.4% (10.4% in 2014)- with a year-on-year increase in volumes of 23.0%
• Eastern Europe 17.0% (19.7% in 2014) with a year-on-year increase in volumes of 5,3%
• North America 17.5% (14.0% in 2014) with a year-on-year increase in volumes of 51.9%
• Asia Pacific 19.7% (19.9% in 2014) with a year-on-year increase in volumes of 20.2%
• Rest of the World 5.6% (6.8% in 2014) with a year-on-year increase in volumes of 0.9%
On the basis of the results achieved it would be fair to say that in 2015 Biesse has significantly outperformed the indications given for its core sectors, both in terms of order intake and in terms of growth in its production order book. Total order intake for the Biesse Group in 2015 was 17.8% higher than in 2014, while the order book totalled more than €141m at end-2015, up 21.5% compared to 2014.