Lectra, a world leader in integrated technology solutions dedicated to industries using fabrics, leather, technical textiles and composite materials says that the Trayton Group, has selected Lectra’s Versalis and Vector cutting solutions – together with product development, pattern-making and nesting software – to automate and optimise its production in China.

Founded in 1999 by its Danish CEO, Simon Lichtenberg, the Trayton Group has become one of the biggest furniture manufacturers in China with two factories in Shanghai and Zhejiang and more than 2000 employees.

Leather accounts for 80% of the company’s production, with the remaining 20% in fabric, and 90% of total production destined for export. The group operates on several levels: for the majority of its customers, it acts as an original design manufacturer (ODM) providing designs for their selection; it produces designs it receives from original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), and it also manufactures and exports finished products.

The Trayton Group also produces furniture for a large Scandinavian furniture retailer. Its goal is to become a market leader in quality and design lifestyle products in China and internationally.

Like many other companies in China, the Trayton Group is facing a rise in the cost of labour and a scarcity of skilled workers, making it difficult to maintain margins and remain competitive. To counter this, the company was looking for ways to use technology to reduce costs, whilst maintaining its reputation for quality and workmanship.

In addition, to meet increasing demand, a third manufacturing facility is planned and this has to be seamlessly integrated with the existing structure.

“Our vision is to improve the quality of life for all of us,” says Simon. “We want to inspire and improve our surroundings. Our business idea supports this vision by offering a wide range of products and solutions that can improve people’s homes and their lifestyle: products of better design and better quality, produced in cost-effective ways to make it accessible to many.

“Delivering the best value in leather seating is not simply a matter of great design, comfort, quality, or cost. It’s about bringing all those important elements together, in just the right way. With its integrated design and manufacturing solutions, Lectra is helping us to do just that.”

The Trayton Group had identified increased automation of its operations as one way to reduce costs. Lectra consultants worked closely with the company, to pinpoint and prioritise the group’s needs, looking at processes and working methods.

Regular meetings were also held with the Trayton Group’s service team to ensure that the actual implementation went very smoothly, with rapid adoption by the teams and minimum disruption to production. In addition, Lectra was able to go even further, making recommendations on optimising the entire production chain, from pattern making to cutting.

“Lectra is focused on bringing measurable added value to the Trayton Group, not only in terms of productivity, but also in terms of process optimisation, sustained performance and continuous improvement. Our expertise and consulting approach are the spearhead of everything we do with them,” says Céline Choussy Bedouet, marketing director, Automotive, Furniture and Technical Textiles, Lectra.